Date: Oct 30, 2012 10:26 AM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)

Kirby Urner Posted: Oct 29, 2012 1:16 PM

>What's your problem guy? I happen to be reading 'The
>Origins of Proslavery Christrianty: White and Black
>Evangelicals in Colonial and Antebelllum Virginia" by
>Charles F. Irons (c) 2008, University of North Carolina
>Press.

You are committing a chomskyism. What you wrote (whatever you may have intended) is the intellectual equivalent of reading a biography of Jeffrey Dahmer and generalizing to the American population.

Christianity is the single greatest force for freedom in human history, by far. It is also a fast evolving religion that has spanned the globe in the course of its 2,000 yr history. Have there been, therefore, some fringe groups and a few minor dead-end ramifications? Of course. But a chomskyism does not even rise to the level of generalizing from a sample of one. To commit a chomskyism is to generalize from an outlier against a moutain of evidence to the contrary.

Haim
No representation without taxation.