Date: Nov 2, 2012 2:57 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: Why Dehaene is Wrong

On Nov 1, 2012, at 2:33 AM, kirby urner <> wrote:

> If I fetch three logs for the fire, subtracting from the wood pile and
> adding to the stove, is that quantitative sense or number sense?

It depends on if you were aware that you got "3" logs.

> If I was asked to "get three logs" and obey, is "number sense" now in
> the foreground? Is "counting" alone enough to establish "number
> sense"?

Yes, if someone asked you to go get a particular number of logs and you did so, repeatedly with different numbers, then you have number sense. You can count.

> When I see two people each have half a load of hay, or half a loaf of
> bread, I am seeing that they have copies of "the same thing" (loaf of
> bread).

You are seeing "sameness", it isn't number sense.

By the way, here is the chimp "counting"...

I would say that this chimp has better quantitative sense then you or I. Almost savant like. Unfortunately, for counting, it tops out at 8.

Bob Hansen