Date: Nov 5, 2012 6:19 AM
Author: Peter Duveen
Subject: Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)

This article can be summed up in one sentence, as can the gist for today's educational philosophy: "Darpa needs more drones, so get cracking!" It's all about competition and conquest, grinding the rest of the world into powder so someone can take control of the booty. "National Security," or Homeland Security, if you like, the magic phrases that give our students purpose. Someone is sure that their million dollar bombs will do the trick every time, but one needs newer and better versions, prosperity be damned. There is no exploration into how or why America has prospered. It's a matter of grabbing the fruit without noticing that it is a tree that produces it, each tree governed by the laws of its growth, which, if violated, will no longer produce the fruit.

I notice a preoccupation among students with position (what college, where and how), and often a decided lack of interest in content. Know the fruit by its tree. By the way, the Council on Foreign Relations recently issued a report on education and national security. Y'all might want to take a look. Google it.