Date: Nov 7, 2012 12:46 AM
Author: Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
Subject: Re:  Math Education Research Doesn't Exist? Response to Schremmer

In my own meaning of "research", math-education research is commonplace. Other (perhaps more stringent) meanings of the word might exclude its existence.

Re: acceptance of the NRC document. As logic would have it, accepting any body of principles as being "consistent" with scientific research merely judges that none of them directly conflict (are inconsistent) with the actual nature of scientific research. That does not say that all six conditions are even *necessary* aspects of all scientific research ... much less saying that all six are *sufficient* to ensure that such research qualifies as being "scientific".

My own interpretation of the six statements is that the committee poses them as being essential ingredients of scientific research in any field ... that they are *necessary* conditions. I have no quarrel with that assertion ... those six are ambiguous enough to be easily defended.

Rather, the dilemma arises through recognizing that all too many educational researchers have not studied enough mathematics to know the difference between *necessary* conditions and *sufficient" conditions. That also appears to be the case with the scholars behind the report. [For a polygon to be a square, it is *necessary* for the polygon to be a quadrilateral ... but being a quadrilateral is not *sufficient* to ensure that it is a square.]

It is certain that many educational researchers will claim that their research works/findings are *scientific* because they are "consistent" with those six principles (i.e. no violations) ... or even because they have met all six "criteria." The rub is that, as criteria go, those six principles are (at best) only *necessary" conditions ... and by no means *sufficient* to ensure that their research is genuinely scientific. And the purpose of the NRC report was to *define* "Scientific Research in Education" ... to specify the *necessary and sufficient* (iff) conditions that determine when educational research qualifies as being "scientific."

My earlier statement that the committee's six principles are "glibly superficial and
badly unknowing about the nature of science" is simply an observation that those six principles in no way *suffice* as criteria for distinguishing scientific from non-scientific educational research ... as evidenced in the report's Block 5-5. Tragically, much of educational research now can use the NRC publication as a basis for so polluting the name of "scientific educational research" that distinguishing genuine scientific research from the rest will be a very cumbersome task,