Date: Nov 8, 2012 3:23 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier<br> confuses kids!

> **Please post a comment if any of these insights are
> new to you or need clarification.**
>
> I am writing this post because of observations from
> Peter Duveen and GSC Chandy in a post by Robert
> Hansen titled 'An interesting point' at
> and
>

> In basic arithmetic, numbers are counts of objects OR
> counts of actions. Just referring to both the
> multiplicand and multiplier as factors that can be
> swapped around dumbs down the logic of arithmetic.
>
> Many elementary math teachers fail to see, let alone
> explain, that one of the numbers in 3 x 2 is
> invisible. Yet which one is it when they are both
> written down?
>
> As any child can tell you, it depends of the story
> the expression summarises.
>
> Multiplication and division involving a single unit
> both require a number you can't see.
>
> In the case of multiplication, the invisible number
> is the multiplier.
>
> In the case of division, the invisible number is the
> divisor.
>
> The reason is you cannot 'see' adverbs.
>
> Both a multiplicand and a dividend describe a number
> of units that are operated upon.
>
> Therefore multiplicands and dividends are adjectives
> describing the number of implicit nouns (units) in
> the story.
>
> The product and quotient are the adjectives that
> describe the final scene. ie final number of units
>
> 1/3 of a pizza can be seen. The adverbial multiplier
> or divisor is unseen. The product or quotient is
> seen.
>
> In the case of multiplicand x multiplicand you would
> have
>
> 3 pizzas x 3 pizzas = 9 square pizzas ie nonsense
>
> 3 pizzas (seen) x 1/3 (unseen) = 1 pizza seen and
> eaten!
>
> The fun rhyme by Ogden Nash...
>
> Minus times minus results in a plus,
> The reason for this, we needn't discuss.
>
> ... is silly as this is saying
>
> verb times verb = verb
>
> Similarly negative times negative = positive is also
> flawed logically as this is akin to saying...
>
> adjective times adjective = adjective
>
> In 3 bones x 2 the multiplicand is 3.
>
> Three takes on the role of an adjective.
>
> The verb is multiplication (iterative adding of 3 to
> zero).
>
> Two is the adverb describing how many times you add
> the multiplicand to zero.
>
> You can have 2 x 3 bones as all you have done is tell
> the same story another way so the multiplier can come
> before the multiplicand as the multiplicand still
> carries the unit.
>
> minus (verb) times (verb) minus (verb) equates to
>
> take away times take away
>
> plus (verb) times (verb) plus (verb) equates to
>
> add times add
>
> Multiplication and division are both iterative
> actions.
>
> With the expression 3 x 2 the story is about adding
> the multiplicand 3 to zero twice (the adverbial).
>
> The implicit sign of the multiplier instructs us to
> [...]

Perhaps all of this shows that is it useful to make the units (or in pure mathematics, the underlying set of elements) the same, even if this means some sort of generalization.

3 apples + 2 apples = 5 apples.

But what do we put in the right side blank below?

3 apples + 2 oranges = 5 _____.

One way out:

3 pieces of fruit + 2 pieces of fruit = 5 pieces of fruit.

There can be an analogue in pure mathematics ("pure" simply meaning no real world units):

For 3 + 2 = 5, if we can explicitly address the question of an underlying set of elements:

3 elements in the set of rational numbers + 2 elements in the set of rational numbers = 5 elements in the set of rational numbers.

But what do we put in the right side blank below?

3 elements in the set of rational numbers + 2 elements in the set of irrational numbers = 5 elements in the set of _______.

One way out:

3 elements in the set of real numbers + 2 elements in the set of real numbers = 5 elements in the set of real numbers.

That is, as we can generalize apples and oranges to pieces of fruit, we can take the union of two sets each containing one type of element but different in type from set to set, and then we can define these two different types of element in this union more generally to be one type of element.