Date: Nov 9, 2012 1:31 PM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier<br> confuses kids!

Robert Hansen says:
>I repeat my question, now to all three of you. WHEN do these games stop and the math begins?

Why should it stop? Math is still used to solve real world problems, all these things remain relevant, even *if* one ascends to a highly abstract level where they needn't impinge on one's constant conscious reflection.

When do scales become irrelevant to the working musician?
When do scales stop and real music begin?

And besides, do you really need a specific point in time to "ascend" to the symbolic level? Like Monday at 3?

Joe N