Date: Nov 14, 2012 12:24 AM
Author: Jonathan Crabtree
Subject: What did Albert say? Re: How teaching factors rather than<br> multiplicand &...

> >That is like saying we grounded Einstein's special
> theory of relativity in the observation that Mercury
> was a fraction of a second late in its orbit.
>
> You have obviously not comprehended any of Einstein's
> own popularizations of Relativity. Nor of the history
> of ideas in mathematics, regarding continuity. The
> big discontinuity you experience between what you
> call "formal reasoning" (can you define that, by the
> way?) and common sense, is just that -- your
> experience.
>
> Joe N

Hi Joe

Albert Einstein is quoted* (maybe correctly or not...)

'If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.'

Apart from the dads in this forum how have other geniuses** explained math to six year olds?

Have Einstein's sons Hans and Eduard ever written about their childhood explanations of math by Albert or Mileva?

Eduard was supposedly gifted. He read Goethe and Friedrich Schiller in first grade before mental illness set in. OK, fine did he understand it?

Did any of Elsa's daughters get math lessons from step-dad Albert? Or was the 'explaining to six year olds' just PR guff?

Does anyone know?

* http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19421-if-you-can-t-explain-it-to-a-six-year-old

** Myself excluded