Date: Nov 15, 2012 9:31 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!

It isn't that I disagree with all of these neat discussions, but these discussions are meaningless without proper development.

What use is it to ask "What instruments and controls might we count as continuous versus discrete?" of students that haven't even fully developed the concept yet? You seem to think that students have some innate understanding of continuity, intermediate value theorem, discrete and analog, and have been just itching to discuss it with someone. These are great discussions for students that have already tackled these concepts, but not for students that haven't.

What you are doing here is simply thinking up good examples of continuity, but they are only good if you understand continuity. They are confusing to someone that doesn't. The kids would not know what you are talking about. Not without development.

Can you tell me how you picture the students' minds unravelling these examples into a generic theory of continuity?

Bob Hansen