Date: Nov 16, 2012 5:09 AM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier<br> confuses kids!

Joe N says:
>"Formal Reasoning" is an ill defined term at best.

Robert Hansen says:
>Not in this conversation. I have been very consistent with the term.

Not the point - you are simply in your own private world.
Who could tell what *you* mean by it? You simply pronounce
your personal beliefs as if they were shared understandings. As best I can tell, the term "formal reasoning" is used by people who want to say "reasoning" with extra pizazz please, (with the exception of U Penn, where it is apparently a close synonym of "formal logic".)

>I am really good at solving unique problems, and I can tell you it isn't anything like what you are describing

A party of one. Your experience, therefore, its universal, huh? A common logical fallacy. What's the famous Hansen theorem, anyway?

Joe N