Date: Nov 16, 2012 2:33 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier<br> confuses kids!

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2012, at 11:48 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe I should just "go underground" with this program and stop sharing
> so much about it here. What do I have to gain from always freely sharing?
> There's no point trying to push it all through math-teach again, all the
> same
> sausages.
>
> Thanks for helping persuade me to drop the frequency of my posting here.
>

> Oh geez, grow up.
>
> Are you telling me that after 5 minutes into your act, if just ONE kid asks
> "Why?" or "How?" you wouldn't stop dead in your tracks and switch to
> explaining mode? That seems to be how it works for me.
>
> Bob Hansen

I think why I need to drop my frequency of posting is this is an
outgrowth of an NCTM list and the focus is very much K-12.

Although I teach full time and regard my content as STEM / STEAM, my
typical client / student is not usually a minor.

My talk to the Portland user group on Tuesday was about "adult
education" as well.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2012-November/010701.html

However, the overlap is here: teachers. I expect I will be teaching
many teachers, and that's what I was doing at Pycon 2009 (how we
billed the event, a co-presentation by another corporate trainer and
myself).

That being said, I continue to be interested in and to have an
investment in what goes on in K-12 and 13-16 (4 college).

My resolve is to post relatively more to the adult-focussed groups and
relatively less to the kid-focussed groups.

Kirby