Date: Nov 17, 2012 3:59 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: The Education Mafia Speaks

Kirby Urner posted Nov 16, 2012 8:29 AM (GSC's remarks preface Kirby's message and interspersed):

I couldn't agree more with about 99% of what Kirby has posted. As to the balance 1%, the attachment herewith may help clarify.

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Haim
> <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
>
> << snip >>
>

> > Honestly, does any sentient person in this forum
> not think putting this man in jail would serve a
> higher justice?

> > Haim
> > No representation without taxation
> > - ------------------------
> >

> I don't think "jail" is the appropriate institution
> for solving problems, though I realize "putting people
> in jail" is a favored form of revenge.

Right. I have yet to see any societal issue actually resolved by putting people in jail. As Kirby observes, jail really is a matter of (imagined) revenge.

> Many commentators, including on math teach, have an
> attitude of vengeance.
>
> Unlike Paul, I don't accept the current crop of tests
> as measures of
> what I most care about, so when it comes to "how well
> are Americans or
> Finlanders doing?", I'm not necessarily going to run
> to a book of PISA scores to find out.

If PISA scores have any real validity, India should vanish from the world map!

Recently, some cherry-picked schools from India participated in a round of PISA testing - and came nearly last! The Indian administrators of our educational system have promptly withdrawn from further rounds of PISA testing (I understand)! Fortunately - at least in my opinion - PISA testing is probably not the real measure of ability in math or whatever. Indians have been doing adequately well in various places in the world for plenty of years now (regardless of their results in PISA or whatever). However, I do strongly believe that our education systems need 're-inventing', so to speak, on a major scale).

Some articulations of things that could be done to 're-invent' our educational system are outlined at the attached PowerPoint presentation.

The Indian educational system is in sizable measure shambolic as a 'system'. I claim that most of our real education occurs in India probably DESPITE our 'system'. This we know because many Indians as individuals do manage to compete pretty well in various fields in real life when they live and work in foreign countries, indicating that there is something of value that Indians do possess in sufficient measure to compete and make their way in the world. Most of this value accrues to them by 'living' more than through the 'educational system'.

What our education system does do is to help at least initiate (though not adequately develop) needed basic skills - mainly, tools to enable communication, ability to calculate (basic arithmetic), and so on. So they do provide something of value (not very effectively, I claim).

> I have my own sense of standards and what's
> acceptable. Most adults get failing grades, not
> because they're failures but because they are products
> of obsolete schooling systems.

Absolutely.

>Anyway, you go with the army you've got.

How very right you are! However, we should DEFINITELY NOT go with the 'system' we've got!! It's a sizable project to redesign many of our existing systems - but it is not impossible to do, I believe. The attachment herewith provides some hints.

GSC