Date: Nov 18, 2012 2:48 AM
Author: Guest
Subject: Re: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9

7-3^2 means 7+-3^2 means 7+-1*3^2

The point is that it is all convention, there are reasons for choosing the conventions we do.

I am one who usually uses the "flying hyphen" to indicate a negative or opposite sign.

I have seen one elementary curriculum that used a hat to indicate negative numbers.

Beth

On Nov 15, 2012, at 1:36 AM, "Clyde Greeno" <clydegreeno@cox.net> wrote:

Beth, thanks for responding!

My #s are below