Date: Nov 18, 2012 1:53 PM
Author: Wally W.
Subject: Re: OT: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:58:34 +0000, RedAcer wrote:

>On 18/11/12 06:17, bjacoby@teranews.com wrote:
>> On 11/17/2012 1:54 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
>>> Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before
>>>>

>80658175170943878571660636856403766975289505440883277824000000000000
>>>

>> TOTAL BULLSHIT! Stephen Fry is a moron.
>>
>> Sam Wormley is a moron for being impressed with this nonsense.
>>
>> And Science Dump is a moronic and anti-science show dedicated to the
>> destruction of science education.
>>
>> His claim is complete and utter nonsense, even if a shuffle were
>> perfect (which this certainly was not). This is what happens when
>> people begin to imagine that mathematics is more real than reality.
>>
>> Here it is in a nutshell for those still actually interested in
>> science as science and not politics: Even if something has an
>> extremely low probability of occurring, that does NOT mean it cannot
>> occur! It does not mean that the first two shuffles might not be the
>> same. This shameful exhibit shows where modern thought has sunk.
>> Idiot statements based upon mathematical suppositions that aren't
>> even true. The extension of to religious levels with no science to
>> back it up.
>>
>> Hence the statement that a deck of cards has NEVER been in this
>> order before, is the WORST kind of unthinking anti-science. They
>> might as well be asserting for children that the Earth is totally
>> flat. Shameful exhibit.
>>
>> Even more pitiful is Sam's gullibility and lack of science education
>> that allows him to be impressed with such blatant nonsense.
>>

>52!=80658175170943878571660636856403766975289505440883277824000000000000
>
>This is a very big number. How long have we had the modern pack? How
>many shuffles have been made?

Irrelevant to his claim, which was only about the pack he had on the
show.

That pack may have existed for less than a year. It may have been
shuffled fewer than 100 times.

His claim that *his* pack of cards has never been in that order before
may or may not be true. While his statement was probably accurate, it
was of relevance to few.

You'll notice his claim wasn't a jaw-dropper for anyone on the set
with him.

Barring the invention of time machines, we can all say: no human has
occupied this point in space-time ever before. And we can repeat it
with 100% accuracy every instant as the Soar System moves through the
galaxy.

The unique occurrences are individually meaningful, important, and
worthy of contemplation.

But his personalization of the commonplace occurrence was over the top
by implying it was something only he could do.

Better to tell people that they could be equally special by doing the
same with their own pack of cards.