Date: Nov 24, 2012 2:28 AM
Author: Ulrich Arndt
Subject: Re: Integer Length Count

IntegerLength will do

dat = RandomInteger[2^100, 1000000];
Sort[Tally[Map[IntegerLength, dat]], #1[[1]] > #2[[1]] &] // Timing

Ulrich
Am 23.11.2012 um 09:28 schrieb sylviehobbs@comcast.net:

> I use a function in SAS that takes, in my case, a billion different

integers of varying length and counts the frequency of the length of
each integer by converting the digits in the integers into alpha
characters and counting the frequency of the right most position of the
alpha character.

> I am trying to do more and more routine programming in Mathematica and

after poking around in documentation for the past 4 hours have yet to
find the parallel function in Mathematica for counting the integer
frequency length in a big data set. My family wants me to drop
everything and put the Turkey in the oven. My cat Sylvester even fell
asleep on his back in front of the refrigerator with his little legs up
in the air, so he want miss the transfer of the Turkey from the stove to
the refrigerator. OH WELL -- IT'S SHOW TIME!

> Meanwhile, let me know any recommendations you have on a Mathematica

function that parallels the SAS Function.