Date: Nov 24, 2012 10:11 AM
Author: mahipal7638@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

On Nov 23, 10:31 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> "Mahipal"  wrote in message

> On Nov 23, 6:07 pm, Musatov <marty.musa...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Nov 23, 11:19 am, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of

> > Medway"<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> > > "Mahipal"  wrote in message
>
> [trim]
>
> What's your age John? Perhaps the music one is exposed to is
> influenced by age.
> 40 +/- 70 which anyone can guess at.
> It's none of your business to ask personal questions on a public forum. Any
> information I disclose about myself I give voluntarily and not under
> interrogation. "Lord Androcles" is of course a pseudonym. "John" was an
> error in a private email to a trusted correspondent who was not trustworthy,
> but eggs cannot be unscrambled. Beware identity theft.

John, look... You and I go into a bar.... I know it sounds like the
beginnings of good joke... but there we are greeting... hello hello
yaddi yadda shaking hands... you're savouring your scotch... and I
mine. Then I pause, look at you, and ask how old are you? What you
going to do? Jump and thrash at me over and over again as if I asked
you if you were old enough to drink?! For one, I can see an
approximate age of you on your face. In a bar We, first of all.

> > > Very funny play on words. I get it, I think. I still cannot type the
> > > end word in that sequence.
> > > ====================================
> > > gottasnip  = got to snip, an often impulsive need to remove words
> > > unnecessarily  (impossible on paper without censorship) and a new
> > > practice made possible only by the computer.
> > > In days of old when letters were bold and postage was invented,
> > > Man sent mail on the back of a snail and had to be contented.

> No not the word gottasnip. The word after Opera. Must not type it.
> WinFREE?

Yes. Must fight with all force not to type that five letter string.

> > > Word play games existed before I was born.
> > > Used to Gettting Punnished daily in every Media manifestation. As if
> > > that's the only form of joking modern journalists and comedians --
> > > perhaps the two are one and the same behind the curtains -- available
> > > to reach and keep Audience Kind.

> > > John do not take most trimming, especially mine, as rude snipping. You
> > > erroneously called john, in another thread, a cretin after he had
> > > liked your response by posting "Perfect!" regards your words. Your
> > > reactions are staged to be confrontational, even where none is
> > > required?
> > > =========================================================
> > > Perhaps if you cited the "Perfect!" post I might see what point you are
> > > making, after years of cynical experience with usenet I probably read it
> > > as
> > > sarcasm. You've seen through me, I am confrontational.  Here is my take
> > > on
> > > snipping (or trimming as you prefer to call it). When a topic is
> > > exhausted
> > > and agreement is reached (or agreement to differ, as we must when it
> > > turns
> > > to mere opinion such as your pink flood) then snip, the topic is closed.
> > > Differing opinions by their very nature cannot be resolved to either
> > > party's
> > > satisfaction. However, it is often the case (and I'm not accusing you of
> > > this) that some newsgroup contributor makes a non-factual opinion as
> > > though
> > > it were fact that is so outrageous I'll snip anything following it
> > > without
> > > bothering to read the rest and challenge him immediately. For example:
> > > "The
> > > universe is finite", or "aether permeates all of space", or "God made
> > > everything". Or I may killfile him immediately, depending on my mood.
> > > But
> > > for the most part, I do not snip, I'm open to discussion either to have
> > > my
> > > own mind changed or to change the mind of the other correspondent. There
> > > are
> > > occasions when I'll say "Yes, that's a very good point, I hadn't thought
> > > of
> > > that" and learn something. For example, Henry Wilson pointed out an
> > > apparent
> > > time contraction and expansion which I had previously overlooked. See if
> > > this fascinates you and try to explain it:
> > >http://www.britastro.org/vss/gifc/00918-ck.gif

> Yes, your "years of cynical experience with usenet" must have
> conditioned your behavior.
> Only my usenet behaviour. When in Rome do as the Romans do. When
> at home do as the homans do.

That's fair and understandable. At least, at first, err on the side of
politeness until someone earns your scorn. Why use the same size fits
all hammer on all Romans -- human or otherwise?

> That's what keeps you always on guard and
> confrontational. The thread I was speaking of is "Making a Sphere" but
> no matter, since you mean what you say.
>
> The  gif you link to above, I have seen it before. Other than it has a
> nice female familiarity, I do not know what to make of it. The y-axis
> m must be for minutes? Not enough information, as is. What is the
> source of time contraction and expansion?
> Excellent. Now we're communicating, you only had to ask. I make no
> assumptions as to anyone's knowledge as it may appear patronising and
> offensive. Now I know to what extent I need to explain.
> The source of the gif is the British Astronomical Society and V 1493 Aql is
> a star which suddenly brightened in 1999. Time is indicated on the
> horizontal axis in months during the year 1999, and m stands for magnitude.
> Because magnitude is logarithmic, a magnitude change of 6 is enormous, it
> will grab the attention of any stargazer the moment he sees it and he'll
> report it around the world.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_(astronomy) >

Given your additional details, I read this article
http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/128/1/405/fulltext/204071.text.html
and it has a duplicate, more detailed, graph of the same brightness
over time data.

> Other stargazers will studiously watch it until they lose interest. In this
> age of streetlights and television stargazing has lost its popularity, but
> our ancestors had little else to do during the long winter nights and were
> very adept at it. It is said that three wise men (probably from India,
> Bangladesh and Afghanistan) visited Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold,
> frankincense and myrrh were guided by stellar navigation, although that
> story has become somewhat corrupted after being retold to children every
> year for 2000 years.

Am familiar with this fable.

> So... the gif is very real data, not some tripe out of a text book.
> Such an event is commonly thought to be cataclysmic. The star explodes. The
> ancients would suddenly see star when none was noticed before and call it
> a "new" star or nova.
> Okay, but I'm a scientist. I have to ask, why would it explode TWICE?

Have not found (i.e., read) a good explanation yet. No conclusive
cause provided in the iop link concerning the TWICE peak.

> That curve is logarithmic, the second peak is also huge.
> Is there some other simple explanation? And I'm a stickler for Ockham's
> Razor, too. The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
> Give it some thought, and in our next exciting episode we'll discuss the
> matter further.

"It is probable that the secondary outburst apparent in the light
curve was due to an additional but slow increase in the material being
expelled from the surface of the white dwarf." -- iop link.

I would search for Henry Wilson but Google Search on and of Usenet is
really Really REALLY atrocious. Arrgh. Oy the frustration of bad SW
apps.

My favourite, btw, astronomy book is authored by a professor, likely
retired now, from The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the
University of Leicester . I cannot locate my copy of the book
presently. I do remember highlighting 80%+ of the writing. After which
my friends and I used to joke it would've been less work to highlight
the non-interesting parts. Now I can't recall the author's name. It
will come to me.

> [trim]
>
> Why are you in a wheelchair?
> ============================
> Arthritic ankle (broken when I was keeping healthy riding a bicycle in
> Florida and got hit by truck driven by an uninsured driver while she was
> tending her squealing infant), aortal aneurysm, chronic obstructive
> pulmonary disease. No more golf, tennis or bicycles for me. Medical
> insurance being what it is in the USA, I take advantage of the NHS and
> disability living allowance that I paid for in my youth by living in Merry
> Old England.

That's very bad luck. I feel for you. Good you have Merry Old England.
Consider this, in that past 3 USA weeks, two pedestrians have been
killed by hit and run incidents near my city. One, 3 weeks ago or so,
a 14 year old girl student, the second, yesterday, a 52 year old lady.
In both cases the drivers were not charged and not even detained by
Law Enforcement. Me, I drank at the bar, drove safely home, did not
jerk off (Pulp Fiction) ... still had my license suspended and am
still dealing with the law's judges. Makes me think I should've run
someone over instead. Oy.

> > > Pay up and you can collect your tea, it grows on trees (well, bushes).
>
> I would rather collect in Moonshine and Scotch.
> Coconut fenni from Goa? I was given a tour of their stills when I was there
> in '83, that stuff is real 'shine.  I was there as part of a team installing
> Sea Harrier Flight Simulator for the Indian Navy. Shared the same hotel with
> a Russian crew doing their thing on the other side of the airport. They
> didn't spend any time in the bar the way we did. The guy on the hotel desk
> was married to an English girl who enjoyed having us there, she told me
> the Russians had turned over their passports to the hotel (legal
> requirement for everyone) and every one of them had the same date of
> issue, it was their first excursion away from the Motherland. They didn't
> mix with the locals either, probably couldn't speak English.  No Kingfisher
> beer for them and that Fenni shine was too strong for me. Couldn't get
> Scotch.

It should be illegal for anyone else to take your passport. I've seen
it being done to people in Dubai as well... it's a way of holding one
captive. Prisoners of State We, no Free at all. Yes, Kingfisher is a
good beer. Cheers!

> [trim]
>
> I see Musatov went through a lot of trouble just to place an x in my
> URL.
> Perhaps he wanted to vote for you.

Perhaps. But I am running from office, not for. Funny that.

> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Enjo(y)...
--
Mahipal