Date: Nov 25, 2012 7:33 PM
Author: ross.finlayson@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

On Nov 25, 4:05 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <ab0e7583-f437-4fbb-8a55-71422c06c...@y5g2000pbi.googlegroups.com>,
>

> > On Nov 25, 12:53 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <8e72f34b-4acb-4e8d-9797-f3b217e4e...@i7g2000pbf.googlegroups.com>,

> > > What we do know is that those things we sometimes regard as being
> > > small-and-particle-like things have some behaviors that are wave-like.

> > > What those "things"REALLY are, we do not know.
>
> > > And most of the time, don't much care, as long as our descriptions of
> > > how we expect them to behave match our observations of how they do
> > > behave!
> > > --

> > Well that's simple, you're not a conscientious mathematician, who
> > cares.

> > Heh, you describe exactly the fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantium.
>
> > What those things REALLY are, we care.  And, you don't here offer
> > anything about it.

> Unless knowing what those things "REALLY ARE" is essential to knowing
> how to describe their behavior, which at least for quantum theory does
> not seem to be the case, most of science is quite satisfied by merely
> knowing how to describe their behavior.
>

> > Quit trodding on my coat-tails and get off it.
>
> Didn't now you could even afford a coat, much less one with tails long
> enough to tread on.
>
> You must look quite odd wearing one like that.
>

> > And:  get a job, get
> > off my lawn, and mow it, you hen-pecking, busybody, biddy.

> Tut-tut!
>
> Temper! Temper!
> --

Heh, come back with a contribution to science. And learn to maintain
decorum in discourse, ....

Yes, contributions to science and mathematical knowledge would be
highly appreciated. And I'm all for the diligent practice of career,
with a general, and egalitiarian, respect. (Get a job.)

Gallery, et alia, please don't let my rebuffing of Virgil's off-topic,
ad hominem lack of mathematical commentary come across as anything but
warmly genial - I find strength and joy in the search for mathematical
truth, not the sweeping away of cobwebs, damning spiders. Most find
me pleasant in conversation, and there's much of it.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson