Date: Nov 25, 2012 11:03 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: The Injurious School Culture Enforced by High-Stakes Testing

Haim posted Nov 24, 2012 10:33 PM (GSC's remarks interspersed):

> Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Nov 22, 2012 4:26 PM
>

> >NCLB was actually mostly written by Republicans
> >associated with the Bush. Here is some proof:

> Here is better proof:

Haim's "better proof" (sic, and SIC AGAIN!) is pasted for reference below my signature.

And THAT is what Haim considers to be a "better proof"???? Amazing! Astounding, in fact!!

No wonder his favorite project, "TO PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" is in such dire straits:

i) Umpteen years after the project started, very few people (including Haim himself, I suspect) are clear as to who are the people that comprise this fabulous 'Education Mafia' or even what 'it' might be!

ii) Umpteen years after the project started, Haim has got only his cohorts and consorts here at Math-teach to participate in his great project!

iii) Umpteen years after the project started, not one single member of this 'Education Mafia' (assuming of course that this fabulous entity actually exists) is in jail through the efforts made by Haim and/or his cohorts and consorts!

For anyone who wishes to set up an ambitious, challenging Mission and then to work scientifically towards accomplishing it (step by rigorous step), I recommend the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS); I've attached herewith a PowerPoint presentation describing this tool.

A couple of cautions and some pieces of general information about the OPMS and how it is applied:

a) It takes a (very small) amount of learning, alongside some (a fair amount of) 'unlearning', to convince oneself that this process actually works in all real-life situation. Unlearning is significantly more difficult to do (for most people) than learning - but the two MUST be carried out in tandem;

b) It may be required, in certain cases, to recognize that a Mission taken up is infeasible and that it has to be modified. For instance, Haim's Mission noted above ("TO PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" is definitely infeasible. A feasible and very worthy Mission instead of this (and one which should interest Haim and his cohorts and consorts) might be: "To overcome the deficiencies of the US public school education system". Alas, Haim has shown no interest in taking up such a feasible Mission instead of his infeasible one.

c) For most people it does take about 1-2 months of work (a few hours first couple of days; followed by 5-10 minutes per day after that) to become confident enough in the process to be able to apply it to any Mission of interest. During this 1-2 months, they should take up some Mission(s) of interest and work to convince themselves that this process really will work on any ambitious Mission.

d) A fair number of people have failed to understand and thereby to apply the OPMS successfully - but a fair number of people have successfully applied the OPMS to their Missions of interest, ranging from relatively simple 'individual Missions' involving just one person to pretty complex 'organizational Missions'. I've not yet successfully got a group together to tackle any significant societal Mission.

The PowerPoint presentation attached describes some successful and some unsuccessful individual and organizational Missions. It describes a fair number of potential 'societal Missions' - and a couple of failed attempts to work on challenging societal Missions.

A societal Mission that is of primary interest to GSC is "To develop a world-class educational system for India" - a fair amount of 'individual work' has been done (by GSC) on this Mission - but, as noted, I've not yet got an effective group together to tackle this Mission.

I'd be delighted to collaborate with someone in the US (including most - emphatically not all - participants at Math-teach) on a Mission like: "To ensure that the US educational system continues to be amongst the world's best, against all competition that may arise". (My own role in any such Mission would necessarily be restricted to demonstrating to my collaborators just how the OPMS may be effectively applied to the Mission. I observe that there is considerable challenge to the US - and that it is NOT successfully meeting the challenge (in my opinion; based on much that I've been seeing/listening to on the Internet and here at Math-teach).

For more information about the OPMS, just contact the undersigned at: gs (underscore) chandy (at) yahoo (dot) com. To those interested in working on any worthy Mission, I shall be most happy to make freely available copies of my prototype OPMS software and to provide (limited, but also free) guidance on how to apply the OPMS to their Missions of interest.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

The rest of Haim's post offering his 'proof' that he had mentioned above follows:

Message was edited by: GS Chandy