Date: Nov 26, 2012 2:52 PM
Author: Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
Subject: Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

"Mahipal"  wrote in message
news:0c8bfcd3-f7c6-43e3-b56d-88609525f437@e25g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...

On Nov 24, 3:52 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> "Mahipal" wrote in message

> On Nov 23, 10:31 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"

[trim]

> > What's your age John? Perhaps the music one is exposed to is
> > influenced by age.
> > 40 +/- 70 which anyone can guess at.
> > It's none of your business to ask personal questions on a public forum.
> > Any
> > information I disclose about myself I give voluntarily and not under
> > interrogation. "Lord Androcles" is of course a pseudonym. "John" was an
> > error in a private email to a trusted correspondent who was not
> > trustworthy,
> > but eggs cannot be unscrambled. Beware identity theft.

> John, look... You and I go into a bar.... I know it sounds like the
> beginnings of good joke... but there we are greeting... hello hello
> yaddi yadda shaking hands... you're savouring your scotch... and I
> mine. Then I pause, look at you, and ask how old are you? What you
> going to do? Jump and thrash at me over and over again as if I asked
> you if you were old enough to drink?! For one, I can see an
> approximate age of you on your face. In a bar We, first of all.
> We are not in a bar, and mine's a glass of wine these days if we were.
> Dirk Van de moortel is a slimy little scumbag in Belgium who once
> boasted to putting a Key-logger on my computer when I had insufficient
> protection and the nasty little faggot is lurking on this conversation
> even
> now. My elder daughter died of cancer in 2006, I let it be known on
> usenet and was accused of trying to capitalise on it to gain attention for
> my views on physics, and by more than one scumbag.
> If you want to spread your personal details all over the web that's your
> business, but I'm not going to. Use your intelligence and make do with
> my approximate age.

Dirk Van de moortel reads a lot like scumbag. So I accept, without
hesitation, your assessment he stalked your keyboard.

Ok. 40 +/- 70 is approximate enough to deal with. Btw, I lost my
Sister to cancer a few years back, I am now older than her age at
passing. It was very difficult, and still is, especially on our
Parents. Having lost a child is a very painful experience. Be strong
and find comfort somehow.

Do ignore all the trolls and evil mongers that are immune from the
joys and sorrows of being Human.
I lost my sister to suicide when she was 47. She was never very bright
and we were never close. Unfortunately I had to insist my nephew went
to his father when her marriage failed, for the child's benefit. She
was not really a fit mother.
My daughter was the complete opposite, loved by all and the life and
soul of the party, always a smile on her face. Working for a travel agency,
she went to more places than I did. Even Mickey Mouse came to see her
at work!
http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Wendy/Wendy.htm

Your posting this quote earlier today was is very inspiring:
"And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is
unfolding as
it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him
to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of
life
keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken
dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." --
Max Ehrmann

[trim]

[trim]

http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/128/1/405/fulltext/204071.text.html

> and it has a duplicate, more detailed, graph of the same brightness
> over time data.
> Quite so, more data can always be found.
> Here is a simple distance-time graph generated by computer with the
> following assumptions:
> 1) The emitter (star) has an output intensity that is constant.
> 2) the emitter moves in an elliptical orbit about a barycentre it shares
> with another body.
> 3) The light leaves the star with velocity c, but arrives here with
> velocity
> c+v where v is the velocity of the star in out direction.
> 4) Given a great enough distance, slower light emitted earlier is passed
> by
> faster light emitted later.
> (A car travelling at 50 mph is caught up after 300 miles by a car
> travelling
> at 60 mph that left home 1 hour later, 6 hours * 50 mph = 5 hours * 60
> mph)
> <http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF>
> Two beams are brighter than one if they arrive together.
> It was Henry Wilson who first noted that delta T differed from delta t to
> yield an apparent time dilation and compression.
> So... no cataclysm. No Einstein relativity nonsense either.

Interesting graph where DT/dt < 0 in certain regions. Can you please
put values on the parsecs and the time axes, if needed.

Nope. Newton's three laws don't have values, they are a principle.
The time could be microseconds or millennia, the distance can be
millimetres or Mega-light-years. It is likely but by no means certain
that V 1493 Aql will repeat its phenomenon every 200 years, about
the same period as Pluto orbits the Sun. We didn't have enough
observers or telescopes 200 years ago to have seen it before.
Much closer to home is Algol, that has a period of 70 hours.
http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Algol/Algol.htm

Why do you conclude that this is a elliptical orbit binary system?
Isn't this the kind of detail Astronomers determine before the Farmers
keep insisting the rocks really fell out of the sky -- all the while
getting mocked by the Astronomers?
A star with a planet is not called a binary system and I didn't.
However, all planets have elliptical orbits. The Moon has an elliptical
orbit. The Earth has an elliptical orbit about the barycentre it shares
with the Moon. That barycentre is a 1000 miles beneath our feet.
If the mathematics of elliptical orbits were not known no probe would
ever reach Mars.

> > Other stargazers will studiously watch it until they lose interest. In
> > this
> > age of streetlights and television stargazing has lost its popularity,
> > but
> > our ancestors had little else to do during the long winter nights and
> > were
> > very adept at it. It is said that three wise men (probably from India,
> > Bangladesh and Afghanistan) visited Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold,
> > frankincense and myrrh were guided by stellar navigation, although that
> > story has become somewhat corrupted after being retold to children every
> > year for 2000 years.

> Am familiar with this fable.
> The world was flooded when the Northern Ice Cap melted, so Noah built a
> farm on a boat to save the animals. Such is the nature of fables.
> Are you familiar with this 2100 year old technology?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
> The extremely poor mathematics of the Holy Roman Empire, still extant
> throughout the world and especially so in the USA, has lost us much from
> the Greeks, the Persians, the Indians, the Arabs.

That's a fascinating mechanical device, amazing the Antikythera is
2100 years old. Not that age matters much. But wow! I recall I first
saw it demonstrated, after replication, on a great TV series names
"What The Ancients Knew" and wondering how come so few shows this
amazingly good and insightful?!

The resultant extremely poor mathematics is a simple consequence of
the reality that a Plagiarist is never -- along any direction along
the time axis -- as thoughtful, insightful, inspired, and talented as
the Original Thinker.
You miss my very simple point.
It is very difficult to teach an adult, let alone a child, that
MXXIV divided by DXII equals II, 1024/512 = 2 is much easier.
One before five is IV, one before ten is IX, not VIIII. Order is
is important, IV is four and VI is six. What then is IVX?
Four before ten perhaps?
Mathematics means learning and applying simple and consistent
rules and the rules of Roman arithmetic are far from simple.
There were no Roman mathematicians, they were handicapped
from birth by bad notation. They has no symbol for zero, that was
an Indian idea and India was beyond the reach of the Roman Empire.
Greece wasn't, and Greek mathematics died out as a result. Only
Greek geometry survived.
Using letters for actual numbers was a BIG mistake, it blocks out
algebra where x can be any value, not just ten.

> [...]

> > Is there some other simple explanation? And I'm a stickler for Ockham's
> > Razor, too. The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
> > Give it some thought, and in our next exciting episode we'll discuss the
> > matter further.

> "It is probable that the secondary outburst apparent in the light
> curve was due to an additional but slow increase in the material being
> expelled from the surface of the white dwarf." -- iop link.
> Standard explanation. It's as probable as Ptolemy's epicycles cause
> retrograde motion.
> <http://www.lasalle.edu/~smithsc/Astronomy/retrograd.html>
>
> I would search for Henry Wilson but Google Search on and of Usenet is
> really Really REALLY atrocious. Arrgh. Oy the frustration of bad SW
> apps.
> Look in (subscribe to) sci.physics.relativity, He's usually beating up
> relativists for fun.
> He's my student but he's very arrogant, wants all the credit. We treat
> each
> other roughly but there is no real animosity.
>

> My favourite, btw, astronomy book is authored by a professor, likely
> retired now, from The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the
> University of Leicester . I cannot locate my copy of the book
> presently. I do remember highlighting 80%+ of the writing. After which
> my friends and I used to joke it would've been less work to highlight
> the non-interesting parts. Now I can't recall the author's name. It
> will come to me.
>

> > [trim]
>
> > Why are you in a wheelchair?
> > ============================
> > Arthritic ankle (broken when I was keeping healthy riding a bicycle in
> > Florida and got hit by truck driven by an uninsured driver while she was
> > tending her squealing infant), aortal aneurysm, chronic obstructive
> > pulmonary disease. No more golf, tennis or bicycles for me. Medical
> > insurance being what it is in the USA, I take advantage of the NHS and
> > disability living allowance that I paid for in my youth by living in
> > Merry
> > Old England.

> That's very bad luck. I feel for you. Good you have Merry Old England.
> Consider this, in that past 3 USA weeks, two pedestrians have been
> killed by hit and run incidents near my city. One, 3 weeks ago or so,
> a 14 year old girl student, the second, yesterday, a 52 year old lady.
> In both cases the drivers were not charged and not even detained by
> Law Enforcement. Me, I drank at the bar, drove safely home, did not
> jerk off (Pulp Fiction) ... still had my license suspended and am
> still dealing with the law's judges. Makes me think I should've run
> someone over instead. Oy.
> Heck, my Jazzy is faster than walking, all I want is for all pubs not to
> have steps as it limits my choice.
> http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/jazzyselect6.asp
> Trouble is some of them are 900 years old.

In the USA we have nothing old, so I love traveling to Europe and
India. What could be more charming than having a scotch at a 900 years
old pub?!

Indians of the American variety had a Palaeolithic culture, stone tools
and weapons but no megaliths. Europeans had megaliths 3000 years ago
and are still savages today.

> > I would rather collect in Moonshine and Scotch.
> > Coconut fenni from Goa? I was given a tour of their stills when I was
> > there
> > in '83, that stuff is real 'shine. I was there as part of a team
> > installing
> > Sea Harrier Flight Simulator for the Indian Navy. Shared the same hotel
> > with
> > a Russian crew doing their thing on the other side of the airport. They
> > didn't spend any time in the bar the way we did. The guy on the hotel
> > desk
> > was married to an English girl who enjoyed having us there, she told me
> > the Russians had turned over their passports to the hotel (legal
> > requirement for everyone) and every one of them had the same date of
> > issue, it was their first excursion away from the Motherland. They
> > didn't
> > mix with the locals either, probably couldn't speak English. No
> > Kingfisher
> > beer for them and that Fenni shine was too strong for me. Couldn't get
> > Scotch.

> It should be illegal for anyone else to take your passport. I've seen
> it being done to people in Dubai as well... it's a way of holding one
> captive. Prisoners of State We, no Free at all. Yes, Kingfisher is a
> good beer. Cheers!
> Nobody took a passport. If you want a hotel room you are obliged to
> hand it over, but anyone can sleep under the stars. If you want to drive
> in Maryland you need a license, but nobody is forcing you to drive there.
> You have the freedom of the highway and byways to walk or ride a horse.
> Driving a car is a privilege that you have to morally and ethically prove
> you are worthy of, it's a lethal weapon.

Nobody took and held on to your, or mine, passport. Yet the act
happens daily to other less fortunate working class people in the
international realm.
But legally. Uncle Sam takes your taxes and hold on to it, it should be
illegal for anyone to steal your money. Yet the act happens daily to
fortunate business class people in the national realm.
Hey, let's make taxes voluntary like pledges to PBS. Those that want
an army to defend everyone should pay for it, those that don't shouldn't
listen to classical music on the radio. I'm all for this what's legal
what's illegal argument, we can pay lawyers instead of taxes and if
that doesn't work the way I want it to, shoot each other.

> Freedom and rights have very different meanings.
> Yankees often mistake them, they think they have the right to privacy
> but they have a Bill of Rights and it's not in there so they don't. Hence
> technology that lets security guards see through clothes at airports in
> infra-red or x-ray, but nobody is forced to board a plane.

I suffer the humiliation inflicted upon travelers because how else to
get to London in 5 hours flying, plus 8 hours being strip searched,
than by the engineering feat -- no thank you very much you Liberal
Arts Physicists -- known as the aeroplane. Looking Indian as I do, no
feigning required, doesn't provide me any added leniency when forced
to pass through Customs, the Earth over. Shaving, somehow, always
seems to convey a sense of more innocent than had I my five o'clock
shadow.

[trim]
Two ways to defeat that. One is get a rowing boat, sneak out and in
again at night, no passport needed. Illegal immigrants try to get into
Britain on the cross channel ferry to Dover, what they should do is go
through Ireland or Wales or Scotland, not England.
It may take more than 5 hours for the crossing.
The other is get filthy rich and go by your own private plane. Money talks
and bullshit walks.
-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway