Date: Nov 28, 2012 7:21 AM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers

On Nov 28, 2012, at 6:49 AM, Peter Duveen <pduveen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If we loose sight of the common-sense foundations of our subject

Everyone has common sense but that isn't the foundation for reasoned thought, or else everyone would exhibit it. If I walk into a school of English speaking students and teach them Chinese, I would begin by explaining Chinese to them, in English. But the foundation of Chinese is not English. The foundation of Chinese is the phonology, grammar and syntax of Chinese. But I have little choice in the beginning but to leverage their ability with English in the task.

Bob Hansen