Date: Nov 30, 2012 6:40 PM
Author: Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
Subject: Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers

On careful analysis, "i" is simply the unit along the *image axis*
(perpendicular to the *object axis*). It is only because of our interest in
the ("cyclonic") combinations, a*(c,d) + b*(-d,c) that the "multiplication"
of "complexes" ... (a,b)*(c,d) ... results in (0,1)*(0,1) = (-1,0). In the
non-symbolic form, "multiplication by i" simply amounts to counter-clockwise
rotation by 90-degrees.