Date: Dec 3, 2012 10:09 PM
Author: Jonathan Crabtree
Subject: Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative<br> 1"?

> "Minus times minus makes a plus" makes perfect sense.
>
> In fact it emphasizes the fact the rule is based on
> the signs alone. The fact that negative numbers also
> have a magnitude is of no account whatsoever in
> regards to this sign rule. Think of the implied
> subjects and objects here being the signs, not the
> numbers. Or, don't, I don't care.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

OK Joe so how does 'debt times debt' work again? I have asked the experts to give me the Indian source, and to date, Brahmagupts is off the hook for that stupid debt times debt = fortune rubbish. Greece and Italy are both in debt, so all they have to do is multiply their debts and they are rich! Whoopee!

Or do you mean a quantity of debt (multiplier number describing noun) taken away a number of times (the adverbial multiplier) which upon reaching zero inverts to fortune?

>From saying 'minus times minus' is OK, you're perhaps implying 'debt times debt' is OK and that we should start multiplying 2 pizzas times 3 pizzas!

If we multiply fortune by fortune, will the coins end up square?

You can invoke RINGo starr and watch FIELD of dreams if it helps you, yet it sure doesn't help the consumers of arithmetic - children.

Jonathan Crabtree
P.S. I DO care :)