Date: Dec 3, 2012 11:55 PM
Author: Joe Niederberger
Subject: Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative<br> 1"?

>I mean, by the time you figure out the cars or un-losing poker hands, you have probably developed the elements (habits of mind) behind formal thinking.

I've been handing you your main point on a silver platter - yes - for most people either you memorize it or you accept that distributivity and identity have to carry the day (ha!). But, a lot of people have trouble *feeling* it, and they desperately (or not so desperately) want to. I'll just target Manzur here - he's as bad as Devlin when he spins his story about virtuous circles. Its just desperation. It's pure BS masquerading as "reasoned thought". Only Martinez get's it right in popular lit. as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Joe N