Date: Dec 5, 2012 9:54 AM
Author: ryanshuell@gmail.com
Subject: Matlab Preserves Data in Memory, Even After I run ‘clearvars’

So, I run this code:
d = dir('C:\Users\Excel\Desktop\Excel_Files\*.xls*');
nfiles = length(d);
for k = 1:nfiles
n=int2str(k);
eval(['[num' n ', txt' n ', raw' n '] = xlsread(d(k).name,1);']);
end

Everything imports fine. However, if I change some data, and re-run the code, I get what I had initially, NOT the changed data. So, I run ?clearvars?, and try again; I get the initial data. Then, I deleted ALL Excel files in the folder and run the code. I get 0; this is what I?d expect. However, if I create a new Excel file, and name it Book1, and put it in that same folder as before, I get what was in the FIRST Book1, not the ACTUAL/NEW Book1. This makes no sense whatsoever. It's like Matlab preserves things in it's memory, even after I run 'clearvars'. It can't be like that. There?s no practical application for that kind of thing.