Date: Dec 5, 2012 12:57 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: WG 13 Announcement: CERME 8 [Turkey]

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So this myth that there's a 1% elite of financially well-to-do that rules
> > the world

> > There is no such thing as the 1%, or the 99%, but it helps to have a peg
> > hang your mask on anyway.
>
> It's a brute mathematical fact that now more than 90% of all newly
> created wealth and income goes to the top 1% of the income
> distribution, but even just recently it was much less than that -
> under Clinton it was down around just 40%.

That doesn't translate easily into being a ruling elite though. Look at
history.

I'm not saying I don't believe in smallish cliques and cabals with power
and influence.

A lot of them don't have tons of money though.

It's not like the "1%" are all in collusion, planning the future behind
closed doors, while the "99%" are out in the cold, clueless and not
contributing.

That's way too simplistic a caricature.

> > We don't buy in to the silly obsolete concepts they still buy "back east"
> > where the infrastructure is more decayed and the people think more like
> > Euros and Brits (poor slobs).
> >

> Silly obsolete concepts? Poor slobs? It's a brute mathematical fact
> that the Scandinavian countries are per capita the richest countries
> in the world, where, for example, the per capita nominal GDP of Norway
> is twice as large as that of the US. And it's a brute fact that
> according to the science that actually tries to measure happiness
> among countries, Norway is the happiest country in the world.

So by your reasoning do Scandinavian countries now rule the world?

Kirby