Date: Dec 5, 2012 4:49 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative 1"?

On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Joe Niederberger <> wrote:

> Joe N says:
> "Martinez"
> Author of "Negative Math":
> I should point out that the track in this book investigating an alternative sign rule is not entirely original, Gerolamo Cardano did a similar investigation ~450 years ago (pg. 25):
> Joe N

That is interesting. I haven't dug deep, but that would be like replacing "i" with "-". But then what would happen to something like 3+2i? That would become 3 + (-2), but is that added like we do, or did he have a new rule of adding as well or was the unary sign symbol not related to subtraction at all?

Bob Hansen