Date: Dec 5, 2012 11:35 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: WG 13 Announcement: CERME 8 [Turkey]

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So this myth that there's a 1% elite of financially well-to-do that
>> > rules
>> > the world

>> > There is no such thing as the 1%, or the 99%, but it helps to have a peg
>> > hang your mask on anyway.

>> It's a brute mathematical fact that now more than 90% of all newly
>> created wealth and income goes to the top 1% of the income
>> distribution, but even just recently it was much less than that -
>> under Clinton it was down around just 40%.
>>

> That doesn't translate easily into being a ruling elite though. Look at
> history.
>
> I'm not saying I don't believe in smallish cliques and cabals with power and
> influence.
>
> A lot of them don't have tons of money though.
>
> It's not like the "1%" are all in collusion, planning the future behind
> closed doors, while the "99%" are out in the cold, clueless and not
> contributing.
>
> That's way too simplistic a caricature.
>

>> > We don't buy in to the silly obsolete concepts they still buy "back
>> > east"
>> > where the infrastructure is more decayed and the people think more like
>> > Euros and Brits (poor slobs).
>> >

>> Silly obsolete concepts? Poor slobs? It's a brute mathematical fact
>> that the Scandinavian countries are per capita the richest countries
>> in the world, where, for example, the per capita nominal GDP of Norway
>> is twice as large as that of the US. And it's a brute fact that
>> according to the science that actually tries to measure happiness
>> among countries, Norway is the happiest country in the world.
>>

> So by your reasoning do Scandinavian countries now rule the world?

I did not address "ruling the world" - that is your invention.

I addressed your implicit denial that there are some bad things going
on in terms of democratic access to wealth and income in the US by
pointing out the facts that show otherwise.

I addressed your claim that so many wrongly believe that all of Europe
is a bunch of poor slobs by pointing out the facts that show
otherwise.