Date: Dec 6, 2012 4:56 AM
Author: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: Re: vector analysis and V9

On Dec 5, 2012, at 3:11 AM, mathgroup <fizzymath@knology.net> wrote:

> I note that none of my 8.04 Vector Analysis works.....previously I
> would load the program then, example, SetCoordinates[Cartesian[x,y,z]]
> and then I could use Div, Curl, etc....
>
> Now I notice I have to write, for example, Div[vector,{x,y,z}]....In
> all my previous code every Vector Operation comes back with incomplete
> Command requiring , in this case, {x,y,z} added to the command.....Is
> this for real?....I have to specify the coordinate system variables
> every single time I do a Vector Operation????
>

> Or, hopefully, have I missed something here?......Let me add....I notice
> that I can still load the 8.04 Vector Analysis and then the commands
> work as before.

Perhaps somebody else can suggest a work-around; I don't know one.

The requirement that the new vector analysis functions in the kernel behave in a more consistent way with the rest of Mathematica than did the older VectorAnalysis add-on functions. Just as you always had to specify explicitly the variables with D, so too must you do it with Grad, Div, and Curl now. And, by extension, you must explicitly indicate within the Grad, Div, or Curl expression the

Breaking old code is an inevitable result of making the entire language more consistent. I'm happy about this here; I never cared for the approach in the old VectorAnalysis package.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305