Date: Dec 6, 2012 12:31 AM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: WG 13 Announcement: CERME 8 [Turkey]

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was talking about the rhetoric of Occupy and comparing the ill-defined
> nature of Education Mafia to the nebulous notion of a "1%". In the rhetoric
> of Occupy,

But there is truth there. There is a number of very rich and very powerful people who by definition are part of the top 1% in the income distribution - this includes for instance some of those who run the big banks - have through massive amounts of money spent on lobbying and other means have "bought" a large part - if not a majority - of the US Congress. That is, to say that they own the government is rhetoric that is not too far from the truth that their influence over government is very, very, very, very, very out of proportion to their numbers. (I do not see why you think that this is OK if you think that this is OK - and you speak as if you think that it is OK.)