Date: Dec 6, 2012 9:18 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: L.A. Times Population Report: Beyond 7 Billion

Richard Hake posted Dec 7, 2012 2:05 AM:
> Some subscribers to Math-Teach might be interested in
> a recent post
> "L.A. Times Population Report: Beyond 7 Billion"
> [Hake (2012)].
>
> Q. What does overpopulation have to do with
> Math-Teach?
>
> A. Please see the Bartlett signature quotes.

<SNIP>
Thanks for the links to useful reading on the issue. (Not to claim that just reading about the issue will do much to tackle it on the ground).

I shall check out A.A. Bartlett. His claims, as quoted by you at the end of your post, are - I strongly believe - entirely valid. I don't yet know what action he proposes/suggests to alleviate the problem(s) identified. I really don't know whether any 'resolution' is possible at all. We still have people believing that things like "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" and "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" are ways to resolve problems faced in the US public school education system: no doubt there are people holding the equivalent positions in respect to 'global warming' and such issues.

Meanwhile, I understand the 'Doha Round' on global warming (and population control?) is now about ready to fail - maybe it has already failed. The BRIC nations (Brazil-Russia-India-China) reject the 'developed' West's position that they must do more to reduce global warming - on the grounds that they do have to enable their burgeoning populations to reach 'decent living standards' before they take serious action on global warming; and that it is the West that has been and is responsible for most of the warming effects and environmental disasters thus far seen.

What is not seen to date is a willingness anywhere to take serious steps, from ground up, to learn how to tackle issues we face - be they issues relating to education or to global warming.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy