Date: Dec 7, 2012 11:35 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: WG 13 Announcement: CERME 8 [Turkey]

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> GSC
> P.S. Can you link me up to your work with CERN?

That was a metaphor.

I was saying that Occupy Portland was such a rare experiment:
hundreds of people camping in the middle of a city, trying to test
ideas about how to live together, that it was like I were a physicist
finally getting my experiment to run at CERN.

CERN in Switzerland has the Large Hadron Collider and physicists have
to queue up to get their experiments run (or so I believe).

Ditto for the Hubble space telescope: astronomers have to queue to
get it to point where they need it to point (the Hubble keeps gyrating
all "day" long, looking at different things, so as not to heat up too
much on any one surface, which would throw off its measurements and
maybe damage parts -- not good, as no more repair missions are
scheduled).

I know more about Hubble as I once had the privilege of training some
of its on-the-ground instrumentation experts in the use of the Python
computer language, which I teach to adults and to younger people.

I did hear a lecture from a CERN guy here recently, about the Higgs
boson. I wrote some Python afterwards, to help me get more of the
particle zoo stuffed in my head:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2012-December/010709.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2012/11/isepp-physics-lecture.html

Thanks to OPDX (Occupy Portland), I was able to learn a lot from
"human guinea pigs" and also to recruit some new talent. I hope
others fared as well.

Kirby