Date: Dec 9, 2012 4:11 AM
Author: Halitsky
Subject: Thanks so much for the sample picture you sent off-line

Thanks for sending the picture... a thousand words? nay, a thousand
times a thousand words, to wax Bard-ian about it.

I think that anyone who's made any kind of concerted legitimate
statistical effort, even a simple one such as the one you're guiding
me through, has got to conclude that Stephen Wolfram is wrong: the
world is not made in the image of a cellular automaton or group
thereof, but rather in the image of a statistical automaton, or group
thereof.

That is, statistics are the "Ding an sich", to use the Kantian term,
not a mere description of the "Ding an Sich".

I wish that my Chomskyan traing as an undergrad taking grad courses
had not predisposed me against the behaviorism rampant in the pysch
departments during the late 60's. Perhaps I would have appreciated
statistics sooner rather than later.