Date: Dec 9, 2012 5:44 PM
Author: Gary Tupper
Subject: Re: Democracy - how to achieve it?

On 12/9/2012 2:09 PM, Robert Hansen wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Gary Tupper <gtupper@peda.com
> <mailto:gtupper@peda.com>> wrote:
>

>> GS Chandy has submitted a comprehensive summary of what democracy
>> might be considered to be.

> Both of you seem to be conflating democracy with economics and give
> short shrift to liberty, justice and freedom. Keep it simple Gary. The
> haves and have nots.
>
> Bob Hansen

Robert: I take liberty, justice & freedom as 'givens' in a proper
democracy - they are the fruits of a functioning democracy. But the rub
is that these should be available to all citizens: the liberty to be
poor, the justice for the select and the freedom to remain disadvantaged
are not what I have in mind.

If Haiti & Syria are 'democracies' then heaven help us.

Gary