Date: Dec 9, 2012 7:59 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: Democracy - how to achieve it?

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM, He, Jing Yun
<guauser+jh992@mathforum.org> wrote:
> I think that India needs to work out the problem how to improve ordinary people life by providing reasonable houses for people who live in not-so-good living conditions and by helping them obtain jobs so that they can live a life like most Chinese do. Democracy is something discussed about after solving this problem. It seems to me that Indian has democracy on the surface but its democracy does not benefit India. China does not have democracy but its government has accomplished something!

In a refugee camp, the reality for most people may be in tents. Tents
need not be a terrible thing if done correctly.

Some institutions provide only a small apartment space, more a
compartment space, for sleeping and changing clothes. A modicum of
privacy is provided and some insulation regarding sound. The bathing
and toilet facilities, kitchens, entertainment and other communal
areas such as meeting and workspaces, libraries, are mostly shared.

This may sound like "low living standards" but consider that college
dorms, nursing homes. cruise ships, many follow a similar pattern.
Cooking facilities are not provided with each sleep space.
Individualized sleeping spaces are way more private than rooms of
bunks which is how many people sleep in a small volume.

In any case, democratic forms of administration should be possible in
such circumstances as well. The idea that you can't have democracy
unless every participant is a "gentleman farmer" on at least 10 acres
of land has romantic roots in some theories, but lets not begin with
such restrictive assumptions.

Kirby