Date: Dec 10, 2012 4:58 AM
Author: Zaljohar@gmail.com
Subject: Re: BACKGROUND THEORY

On Dec 9, 11:18 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This topic comes as a continuation to thought presented in this Usenet
> in posts:
>
> what are sets? againhttps://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/browse_thread/thread/a78c4e2...
>
> Attn: See the corrected form of this theory at the discussing thread
> of it.
>
> Background Theory.https://groups.google.com/group/sci.logic/browse_thread/thread/a79f12...
>
> Here I'll present a simple modification of background theory that
> widens its conceptual coverage.
>
> EXPOSTION OF BACKGROUND THEORY:
>
> Language: FOL (=,P,Rp,0)
> P is the binary relation "is part of"
> Rp is the binary relation "represents"
> 0 is a constant symbol.
>
> Background Theory is the collection of all sentences entailed (via
> rules of FOL(=,P,Rp.0)) by the following non logical axioms:
>
> Define: x PP y <-> x P y & ~ y P x
>
> ID axioms +
> I.  Part-hood: [forall z. z PP x -> z P y] <-> x P y
> ll. Anti-symmetry: x P y & y P x -> x=y
>
> Def.) atom(x) <-> ~ Exist y. y PP x
> Def.) x atom of y <-> atom(x) & x P y.
> Def.) c is a collection of atoms iff forall y P c (Exist z. z atom of
> y).
> Def.) g is atomless <-> ~ Exist x. x atom of g
>
> lll. Atomistic parts:
> [x is a collection of atoms & forall z. z atom of x -> z P y] -> x P
>
> lV. Representation: x Rp c & y Rp d -> (x=y<->c=d)
>
> V. Composition: if phi is a formula in which y is free but x not,
> then:
>
> (Exist y. atom(y) & phi ->
> (Exist x. x is a collection of atoms &
>  forall y. y atom of x <-> atom(y) & phi))
>
> is an axiom.
>
> Define: x=[y|phi] <->
> [x is a collection of atoms & (forall y. y atom of x <-> atom(y) &
> phi)]
>
> For convenience writable finite collections of atoms shall be simply
> denoted by a string of those atoms embraced within solid brackets [],
> so [a] is the collection of atoms, that has one atom which is a, of
> course [a]=a; similarily [a,b] is the collection of atoms a and b.
>
> Vl. Null. atom(0) & ~Exist x. 0 Rp x.
>
> Define: x is descriptive <-> x=0 OR Exist y. x Rp y
> Define: x is a descriptive atom <-> atom(x) & x is descriptive.
> Define: x is a collection of descriptive atoms <->
> [forall y. y P c -> Exist z. z atom of y & z is descriptive].
>
> A set is defined as an atom that uniquely represents a collection of
> descriptive atoms or otherwise signify non representation.
>
> "signify" in the above definition refers to "witnessing" of absence of
> representation and that witness is some fixed non representing atom
> denoted by the primitive constant symbol 0.
>
> Define: Set(x) <->
> x=0 or [atom(x) & Exist y. y is a collection of descriptive atoms & x
> Rp y]
>
> Set membership is defined as being an atom of a collection of
> descriptive atoms that is represented by an atom.
>
> Define: x member of y <->
> [...]

A nice issue is the representation of parts.

Lets take an orange call it G. of course G is a collection of some
concrete physical atoms.

Now lets say that g is an atom that represents G.

So g is a descriptive atom. And since G is not a collection of
descriptive atoms, then g is an Ur-element.

Now take the orange G and cut it into two pieces G1,G2

Now take the collection of atoms of G1 and G2, this would be exactly G

But G1 and G2 is a different status from G, how can we describe this
difference.

This can be done if G1 and G2 have representative atoms g1, g2.

In this way the atom representing the collection [g1,g2] is a set of
course that reflects this splitting.

This gives some natural basis for the POWER set axiom.

Zuhair