Date: Dec 10, 2012 3:37 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: College Is Dead. Long Live College!

Thanks, Professor Becker, for posting that exciting story by Amanda Ripley in TIME (pasted for reference below my signature.  I was in particular drawn to:

> In every country, education changes so slowly
> that it can be hard to detect progress. But what
> happened next was truly different. Within an
> hour, Maziar Kosarifar, a young man taking the
> class in Malaysia, began posting detailed
> descriptions for Niazi of the test questions in
> each video. Rosa Brigída, a novice physics
> professor taking the class from Portugal, tried
> to create a workaround so Niazi could bypass
> YouTube; it didn't work. From England, William,
> 12, promised to help and warned Niazi not to
> write anything too negative about her government
> online.

Something different seems to be 'in the air'...

Education can change - and (given the enthusiastic participation of its primary stakeholders, the students - it can change very speedily indeed! And: if education can change, so can a lot of other societal systems...

GSC

Jerry Becker posted Dec 10, 2012 5:14 AM

Message was edited by: GS Chandy