Date: Dec 10, 2012 10:55 PM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: fom - 01 - preface

On 12/10/2012 2:43 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article
> <>,
> WM <> wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> The axiom of choice only applies to sets within
>>> a given model.

>> Zermelo proved that every set can be well-ordered - without mentioning
>> any model. My interest is solely the set of real numbers. It is
>> covered by Zermelo's proof.

> Does WM claim that Zermelo's "proof" must hold in every model, that it
> is somehow universal?

Well, it certainly holds whenever the theory
being modeled has the axoim of choice.

I wonder how the claim holds when the axiom
of determinacy is in force and the axiom of
choice is inconsistent.

I suppose, that the claim is interpretable along
the lines of finitism. Completeness is of no
issue. What can be proved using a sound deductive
system is what is true. Then the only real numbers
are the constructive real numbers.