Date: Dec 11, 2012 11:54 AM
Author: Patsy Wang-Iverson
Subject: [ncsm-members] TIMSS/PIRLS press release

Hello,

Although I only referred to TIMSS in my earlier posts, 2011 offered a
unique opportunity to examine student performance in both TIMSS
[mathematics (gr. 4 and 8), science (gr. 4 and 8)] and PIRLS [reading
(gr.4)].

The IEA press release at 10am CET includes four videos, which you can
access at www.timss.org; there are interviews with representatives from the
Netherlands (Jos de Groen, Dutch MOE; where 100% of gr. 4 students reached
the lowest benchmark), Singapore (Ho Peng, director-general of education;
where students improved their performance from 2007), Russian Federation
(Galina Kovaleva, Russian Academy of Education) and Hong Kong (Frederick
Leung*, University of Hong Kong) in video 2.

*Frederick Leung was a keynote speaker at MERGA (Mathematics Education
Research Group of Australasia) 2012, and the abstract for his presentation,
What can and should we learn from international studies of mathematics
achievement?, is available at:
http://math.nie.edu.sg/merga2012/programme/abstract/abstractthree.aspx

The slides for the NCES press release, which took place at 10 am EST are
available at https://nces.ed.gov/timss/results11.asp along with the
Highlights report of U.S. performance. If you are interested in receiving
the audio component, you should send a request to stephen.provasnik@ed.gov

The full reports for the TIMSS and PIRLS study are available at timss.org,
along with the encyclopedia of country backgrounds (two volumes), public
release questions...

Enjoy.

Patsy
Patsy Wang-Iverson