Date: Dec 14, 2012 12:14 AM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop

Wayne Bishop Posted: Dec 13, 2012 8:00 PM

>For a long time, I was trying to ignore her self-serving
>diatribe hoping it would go away but Jeremy Kilpatrick's
>electronic collection of signatures for Stanford* pushed
>me over the hump. Attached is my response cleaned up and
>looking more professional with Jim Milgram's help and
>more is available at his website
>http://math.stanford.edu/~milgram.

Wayne,

I am glad to see your response and I hope it has the desired effect. I would have counseled a different approach. On the principle of "Qui s'excuse s'accuse", I feel you spend too much time defending yourself. Jo Boaler is in the wrong, and you should have stayed tightly focused on enumerating and explicating her wrongs.

In the immediate matter at hand, Boaler is wrong in the practice and wrong on the law of confidentiality and this point, if not entirely lost, loses focus amid the circumstantial discussions. Furthermore, you might suggest that her interpretation of the law is self-serving, and use this as a seguey into recapitulating and rediscrediting her original work ("As a rule, researchers are keen to share their data. Why not Jo Boaler?"). Your focus should be exclusively on Jo Boaler and her transgressions.

Finally, you could be and should be unkind to Jeremy Kilpatrick and the signatories of his petition, perhaps by comparing them to the notorious Gang of 88
(Wiki enervatingly calls them the "Group of 88"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_88)
people of such intellectual bestiality they felt no need to hear the other side of the case and were only too willing, indeed eager, to destroy the lives of several innocent young men. I can even imagine your opening salvo against Kilpatrick, "We have seen this kind of academic lynch mob before...".

Of course, this is all easy for me to say; I am not the guy being dragged through the muck. With Milgram and other supporters by your side, I hope you can work out of this mess, maybe even turn it to your advantage. It is a bitter irony that you now have to swim through this merde because you tried to do the right thing by the students of CA.

Well, you know the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." I can only suppose that a man like you knew what he was getting into. So, "keep your powder dry and your head down", and if these people are going to take you down, "take a few of the bastards with you".

Haim
No representation without taxation.