Date: Dec 14, 2012 5:17 PM
Author: Jonathan Crabtree
Subject: Re: The Chinese man who gave 'proof' zero is a number in Istanbul...

[Please have a look at the attached photo.]

Could this unusual picture become a demonstration of basic set theory?

What if this 'hole' was filled slice by slice from left to right, like slices of jelly?

The empty pool. { }

The first numbered lane is zero {0}

The second numbered lane is one {0, 1}

Daaaave^ said this about such an occasion.

"One of the first things i noticed. The outside lanes looked choppy from the stands, and the ladder looks like it is up in your business.

I would sure rather be seeded 31st and in lane 4 of heat n-minus-3 than seeded 30th and in lane 9 of heat n.

(you guys like how I dropped some algebra in there?! Aww yeah. #math)"

^ Source:

So is the set empty when there is no water or no swimmers?

Does the 'set' contain empty or missing things when only lanes 1-8 are used in the finals?

Why aren't the lanes just named 1 to 10?

How many ropes are required for races? (Like the fence post lesson.)

Width of lanes etc etc

Is anybody interested in 'refining' the above and suggesting some cool lesson plan ideas around the attachment?

It never occurred to me there was a lane zero in swimming as this was the first time I ever saw the heats. Up until now I only ever saw lanes 1 - 8 on television.

NOTE: None of the commentators mentioned any algebra or set theory!