Date: Dec 15, 2012 11:36 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop

Haim posted Dec 14, 2012 10:44 AM:
> Wayne Bishop Posted: Dec 13, 2012 8:00 PM
>

> >For a long time, I was trying to ignore her
> self-serving
> >diatribe
<snip>
Response from Haim (proferring advice to Wayne Bishop):

> Wayne,

<snipped Haim's remarks on Jo Boaler, and how he, Haim, would have better tackled the petition from Jeremy Kilpatrick>

> Finally, you could be and should be unkind to
> to Jeremy Kilpatrick and the signatories of his
> petition, perhaps by comparing them to the notorious
> Gang of 88
> (Wiki enervatingly calls them the "Group of 88"
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_88)
> people of such intellectual bestiality they felt no
> need to hear the other side of the case and were only
> too willing, indeed eager, to destroy the lives of
> several innocent young men. I can even imagine your
> opening salvo against Kilpatrick, "We have seen this
> kind of academic lynch mob before...".

Below, for ready reference, I have pasted a copy of the petition from Jeremy Kilpatrick, to enable readers to check out for themselves just how accurate/justified may be Haim's virulent critique of Kilpatrick's petition and the people who had signed it.

QUOTE KILPATRICK's PETITION:
The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fundamental values.

Petitioning President and provost of Stanford University

The community of mathematics educators: Join in defending fundamental values.

Petition by Jeremy Kilpatrick

Academic freedom is essential for knowledge creation.

To:
President and provost of Stanford University

Dear President Hennessy and Provost Etchemendy:

On November 1, 2012, Professor Jo Boaler of Stanford University gave a keynote address at the meeting of the North American chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA). In her address, Professor Boaler discussed the importance of communicating research with broader audiences and recognizing and facing the challenging political climates in which we work. Professor Boaler made public the troubling attacks to which she has been subjected from a member of your mathematics faculty, Professor James Milgram. She has also posted a detailed account (http://www.stanford.edu/~joboaler/) of these attacks. The response, from the research community around the world, has been immediate and virulent. Shocked reactions are spreading rapidly.

Professor Boaler?s report describes some serious breaches of academic integrity (protecting the confidentiality of human subjects) and of ethical behavior (harassment and personal attacks). We view the behavior that has been reported as a threat to Professor Boaler?s academic freedom, that is, her freedom to conduct research without harassment. Professor Boaler is a valued and respected member of our community, and we cannot stand by and see such activity without lodging a protest. Furthermore, we see the attacks on the work of Professor Boaler, and Stanford?s inaction in response, as threatening to the work of the mathematics education research community.

We the undersigned believe, on the basis of the evidence that has been made publicly available, that Professor Jo Boaler has been the object of a campaign of harassment conducted by Stanford University Professor James Milgram and others that far exceeds the boundaries of scholarly discourse and academic freedom, that these actions have harmed Professor Boaler, and that these actions, if unaddressed by Stanford, will continue to damage Professor Boaler and may well damage the university itself. We ask you to open an official inquiry into the actions taken against Professor Boaler, and to make public the results of that inquiry and the actions that follow from it.

Sincerely,
[Your name]
UNQUOTE

All of the above is 'evidence' of the sort that Haim continues to put up justifying untenable arguments (to put it mildly).

[I don't know - and don't really much care - what the status may be of the squabble between Milgram-Bishop on side side and Boaler on the other. I personally did not sign Jeremy Kilpatrick's petition as I - being an outsider from India - really have no position to take in regard to the sordid squabble between Professors Bishop and Milgram on the one side and Professor Jo Boaler on the other.

[However, to judge by the resounding emptiness of the arguments that Haim has has brought to bear on the issues, it is my opinion that the side opposing him would be likely to have a greater degree of truth on its side].

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away! - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the observation that the EASY way out of such tedium [and the way that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would adopt] would be simply to ignore all messages purporting to originate from GSC)

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy