Date: Dec 17, 2012 12:37 PM
Author: Gary Tupper
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

Lou:  Changing 'human nature', whatever that may be, is not necessary -
but changing human behaviour is the objective. & it seems doable - over
time & with much determination. I think of smoking which has been
greatly reduced over the last 20 yrs. Also - capital punishment - over
the last 50-100 years most civilized nations have given it up. Slavery -
over the last few 100 years virtually eliminated in the whole world.

Gary Tupper

Although the politicians & much of the populace are in the NRA's
pocket, I would surmise that if the Madison Ave folk were to get on
board then over a number of years the American love affair with guns &
the "be afraid, be very afraid" mantras would gradually diminish.