Date: Dec 17, 2012 7:30 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social<br> engineering'?

Gary Tupper posted  Dec 17, 2012 11:07 PM:
> Lou: Changing 'human nature', whatever that may be,
> is not necessary -
> but changing human behaviour is the objective. & it
> seems doable - over
> time & with much determination. I think of smoking
> which has been
> greatly reduced over the last 20 yrs. Also - capital
> punishment - over
> the last 50-100 years most civilized nations have
> given it up. Slavery -
> over the last few 100 years virtually eliminated in
> the whole world.
>
> Gary Tupper

Beautiful! You've articulated, most succinctly and much better than I have been able to do, one important point I've been wanting to make. The instances you have provided are also excellent.

It is indeed change in human behavior (wherever that is unhealthy/uncivilized) that we should be seeking to accomplish.

The tools I often discuss could help quite significantly to help change human behaviour (in many cases) though, as you've noted, it does demand time and much determination.

GSC