Date: Dec 17, 2012 8:08 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social<br> engineering'?

Gary Tupper at http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7938241 has made the important point that what we are actually seeking to do in all such complex societal issues is to "change human behavior" - which is definitely "do-able", though it does take time and much determination.

He has provided three telling instances:

- -- the smoking habit has been greatly reduced over the past twenty years (in at least the 'developed nations'). [I observe that the 'developing nations' have not been very successful - but give it time, some determined effort of the right kind, and I'm sure we can achieve significant degrees of success as well];

- -- capital punishment has been given up in most civilized nations;

- -- slavery has been virtually eliminated over the past 100 years. ['Other' forms have come into being, such as 'bonded labor'; 'child labor'; and so on - but who ever claimed that societal problems were easy to resolve?]

The point at issue, viz., "gun control" - by which I really mean the elimination of such weapons in private hands - is, I believe, entirely achievable over time, given much determination (even though Haim and his cohorts and consorts will most likely consider this to be 'unacceptable social engineering').

Later, given even more time and much more determination, we may even be able to eliminate guns entirely (notwithstanding all the profits that the 'arms business' is making from its deadly products). That's a long, LONG way off, of course.

GSC