Date: Dec 19, 2012 12:17 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you claim that gun control works not at all...
>

> I don't see anywhere where I said this. Are you talking to GS?
>
> I spoke of actual cases of bans on guns and the result.
>
> Bob Hansen

Not so. India does not ban guns.

http://punjabnewsline.com/news/Not-just-US_-India-also-needs-to-ban-guns.html

But what I wrote in

"Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?"

and the linked-to messages covers such bans. (See the correlation I pointed out with respect to countries. Part of that correlation: Japan has the lowest rate of murder in the first world, and it essentially bans all guns.)

As for that island effect I talked about, here is a working paper that shows some correlations:

"Cross-Border Spillover: U.S. Gun Laws and Violence in Mexico"

Quote: "The expiration relaxed the permissiveness of gun sales in border states such as Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, but not California, which retained a pre-existing state-level ban. Using mortality statistics over 2002-2006, we show that homicides, gun-related homicides and crime gun seizures increased differentially in Mexican municipios located closer to entry ports in these other border states, relative to entry ports in California."

http://themonkeycage.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Slide2.jpg

And see these graphs above: Over the few years after the 2004 expiration of the US assault weapons ban, note that murder rates and gun-related murder rates went up in those three border states of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, but not in California, which kept the ban.