Date: Dec 19, 2012 12:17 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Robert Hansen <> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Paul Tanner <> wrote:
> If you claim that gun control works not at all...
> I don't see anywhere where I said this. Are you talking to GS?
> I spoke of actual cases of bans on guns and the result.
> Bob Hansen

Not so. India does not ban guns.

But what I wrote in

"Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?"

and the linked-to messages covers such bans. (See the correlation I pointed out with respect to countries. Part of that correlation: Japan has the lowest rate of murder in the first world, and it essentially bans all guns.)

As for that island effect I talked about, here is a working paper that shows some correlations:

"Cross-Border Spillover: U.S. Gun Laws and Violence in Mexico"

Quote: "The expiration relaxed the permissiveness of gun sales in border states such as Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, but not California, which retained a pre-existing state-level ban. Using mortality statistics over 2002-2006, we show that homicides, gun-related homicides and crime gun seizures increased differentially in Mexican municipios located closer to entry ports in these other border states, relative to entry ports in California."

And see these graphs above: Over the few years after the 2004 expiration of the US assault weapons ban, note that murder rates and gun-related murder rates went up in those three border states of Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, but not in California, which kept the ban.