Date: Dec 19, 2012 2:53 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

My apologies for all the typos in my archived copy of the last post.
Obviously written in a hurry and then I didn't get time to go back and edit
the thing. I needed to get my dog to the vet to have the stitches out
following cosmetic surgery (not tax deductible).

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2012, at 1:15 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Adults carry banned (by Disney) weapons onto the Disneyland campus
> (private property) or any private campus that bans them, are committed a
> huge social faux pas, even if they don't "get caught" and even if the state
> around this property says carrying with a permit is OK in public spaces.

Should read: "Adults carrying banned (by Disney) weapons onto the
Disneyland campus (private property) or any private campus that bans them,
are committing a huge social faux pas, even if they don't 'get caught' and
even if the state around this property says carrying with a permit is OK in
public spaces."

> So our point is now tackiness, faux pas and activism.
>
> Interesting.

Not a new thing in US society, to use ridicule. Remember the public stocks:

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/12300/12397/stocks_12397.htm

I think if Disney catches a wayward gun owner packing inside a Disney theme
park, that a public stocks in Wild West World might be appropriate.

Detain the guest, perhaps with a hood, plastic handcuffs and drag them off
to the dungeon in Tinkebell's Castle for a minimum of two hours with no
water, no cell. Then put the low life specimen in a silly baggy outfit in
the public stockade with duct tape over their mouths (so as to prevent a
flow of profanity), for another hour and a half.

If said nasty little perps ever come back to the park with their piece
again, a bullet through the head would be merciful compared to what Goofy
will do. That would be the rumor anyway. Giant billboards around LA with
unflattering mug shots of adults caught on Disney property with weapons
would be a next step. Side shot, front shot, holding a number.

Note: if you're in a public space and the state says packing in public is
OK, fine. But when you enter a private space, different rules may apply
and if you can't fathom how that could be, then stay away until you figure
it out.

Kirby

Note: I am not a an employee of Disneyland and the treatments described
above are for rhetorical / satirical purposes. In sketching a science
fiction alternative reality, I am not divulging actual plans by the owners
of Disneyland to enforce private property rights when appropriate. Read
the official documentation for specific language and the list of
prohibitions.

Also note: if I were actually advising, my counsel would not be the above
(Wild West World does not exist, must be thinking of that movie with Yul
Brynner -- nor is the Castle technically Tinkerbell's). Discovery of a
weapon on a guest's person should be treated no less liberally than
discovery of marijuana cigarettes, which the state may also allow to be
bought and sold with a permit (just like the gun and tobacco). Offer to
check the gun (or weed) in a friendly manner in one of the many lockers at
the perimeter of the park. Ask for ID and scan it, keep a database, share
with public authorities. Remind the guest of park policies and the option
to take disciplinary action if repeated offenses become the issue. Screen
the above science fiction in cartoon trailers to focus groups, reminding
people of time-honored park policies. Do not let the deterioration of
North American civil society pop the Disneyland bubble as the Happiest
Place on Earth.[tm]

Message was edited by: kirby urner