Date: Dec 22, 2012 1:56 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar

Haim posted Dec 21, 2012 4:28 AM:
> Is it something in the water?
>

> >Amid an explosion in the number of students who
> qualify
> >for the seats...
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.
> - ----------------------------------
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/education/for-educat
> ion-department-a-reversal-of-policy-on-programs-for-th
> e-gifted.html?hpw&_r=0
> December 19, 2012
> A Policy Shift in Programs for the Gifted Is
> Abandoned
> By AL BAKER

<SNIP>
Well, I (from my perch far, far away in India) do find it quite weird that the people in charge of your educational systems in the USA do not try to use their own available good ideas to work directly on a 'Mission' to, say, develop an educational system that caters effectively to the needs of all its students - both the gifted ones and the average ones. (I am sure they are not lacking in ideas - two of the stakeholders [see below] have put up their own ideas, for whatever those are worth).

This is not impossible to do, given sone minimum degree of real willingness on the parts of stakeholders want to work on such a Mission, to bend their minds and efforts to doing the things that may help to accomplish the chosen Mission (whatever that may be).

Haim doubtless finds it weird that the stakeholders do not follow his prescription to "PUT THE EDUCATIONAL MAFIA IN JAIL!" (which evidently seems the most obvious thing in the world to him).

Wayne Bishop doubtless finds it weird that the stakeholders do not follow his prescription to "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (which evidently seems the most obvious thing in the world to him).

I also find weird the fact that we in India are seemingly beset by the same strange affliction that affects the administrators, teachers, parents and other stakeholders in the USA: we too just do not try to work thus directly on an appropriate Mission! Some of our stakeholders here also have similar impulses as do Haim and Wayne Bishop, of wanting to jail people wholesale or of blowing various institutions.

These commonalities between the stakeholders in the USA and in India are remarkable, given the huge differences in basic situations and conditions faced there and here.

Could Haim possibly be right in his surmise that it may be "something in the water"?

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")