Date: Dec 25, 2012 9:36 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Head Start:  Now We Know

On a personal note, I must confess I burst out laughing when I first looked at this report.  Thirty seven pages of front matter!  Not only do they not understand the purpose of front matter, these people clearly have no concept of what is an executive summary.  And they are teaching our children?  (OMG!)

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/head_start_report.pdf

In summary, there were initial positive impacts from having access to Head Start, but by the end of 3rd grade there were very few impacts found for either cohort in any of the four domains of cognitive, social-emotional, health and parenting practices. The few impacts that were found did not show a clear pattern of favorable or unfavorable impacts for children.

In other words, Head Start is a boat*.

Haim
No representation without taxation
*I once heard a boat defined as a hole in the water into which you pump money.