Date: Dec 25, 2012 10:42 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Education in The Atlantic

Responding to Professor Wayne Bishop's disclaimer:

>blowing them (i.e. those famous 'schools of education') up was not my idea.

>It came from reading research expert and then US Department of Education's Assistant Secretary of Education Reid Lyon at a highly publicized panel discussion chaired by Secretary of Education Rod Paige:

> "You know, if there was any piece of legislation that I could pass, it would be to blow up the colleges of education."

> November 18, 2002 - Forum on Rigorous Evidence - Transcript, P. 84-85
> The Key to Progress in Education?
> Lessons from Medicine, Welfare and Other Fields

> Wayne

And that ludicrous position you promptly took up as your very own theme song?

Instead of - as a Professor in a respected institution; someone keenly interested in improved the state of education in the USA; someone with a real voice in the US - instead of pointing out that people in positions of power in education should advocate much more productive courses of action than "blowing up the schools of education".

And what is the 'brand' of philosophy that you said you profess, Professor?

To my doubtless uneducated mind, the right and proper thing to do (if the schools of education aren't performing effectively) would be "to ensure that the schools of education set out a worthwhile Mission (or Missions) for themselves and to ensure that they work, in practice on the ground, to accomplish the chosen Mission(s)" [AND to demand that people with such idiot bents of mind as the Department of Education's Assistant Secretary of Education Reid Lyon should be sacked, and to ensure that such people never again occupy such positions of power].

In case you don't know of any practical means to do such wonderful things as I've suggested above, here is a link to a post of mine at another thread in this very forum, the attachments to which describe simple, practical means by which individuals and groups may work to better accomplish their chosen Missions - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536

Anyway, thanks enormously for that reference to the Atlantic articles. I find them most interesting, even, in some ways, illuminating.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the observation that the easy way to avoid any such tedium would be to ignore, rigorously, all posts purported to originate from GSC)