Date: Jan 5, 2013 2:17 AM
Author: David Bailey
Subject: Attaching a notebook to a message

I suddenly realised that there is (probably) a way to attach a notebook
to a message here! The trick is to compress the expression which is the
notebook:

Compress[NotebookGet[nb]]

For example:

"1:eJzVUslOwzAQdSlQtgouHLggIwS0YhGtqooTEruQgEoNggPikBQHLBw7xI5aOHHmyF8\
hxI/wFXicUNKUpYgTl5c3M2/\
Gs2TGEXV3ACEkhzQcCUUcIa7dDHj6NRxQqT6sLcKY2wdWPrb2AhH627ayI3c7JZtMsSY1s\
TybMSxtz2cE8/ghaxQioSNDR1HFyEeVesiIHI8LbF3Z/JIcU49IAgpoCL4I4YXy4+\
sGQlMF+P6506hATsOmaBmxcQxCQ6KpfW5/MtkCckQ0AdlZl3ige42JaN+\
30e6HrJvgq4eyHWKIzhpcNFg2eG5w3uCSwVaCV2INtLzP/VD99hT3T9PmFPcPc+\
YUvew1F08FI/w8UjTG4r9LjXcN0lqoelttJl4tQi9mnUZd8wlvk1SREU1OKb8QTYveEf5+\
lmcNDd1ZSp1vqw/t4JJymfoZOyw5rMlGqIRnK9qgY5lkORDQdbA6VJ+\
MuBsIrnb4xQkJJBXcqmjf2soqdkWAD2kjEFK4CkddSVyoVpYdqoq4UGso4ZAAV5dwebVUK\
qZKT8BJ1C0j28SlnCpdWlqwDW3bIVMr3HkDs7QGzA=="

Since Compress only uses printable ASCII characters, hopefully if you
paste the above string into a notebook and perform:

string//Uncompress//NotebookPut

Of course, it is also possible to paste the raw output from NotebookGet,
but that will be considerably more voluminous. Also a compressed string
that becomes corrupted will be utterly destroyed, so it is probably
safer than using the raw BoxForm expression.

NB: The 9.0 bug that messes up cell merges, also affects NotebookGet, so
I would suggest you use 8.0.4 for this trick until 9.1 comes out.

This is really a test to discover if this survives the posting process!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk