Date: Jan 6, 2013 1:01 PM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: The Great Purge of Literature

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> What is even stranger is that we were already at 50/50.
>
> English, Social Studies, Math, Science.
>
> Bob Hansen

Social Science has a lot of math in it, especially statistics.

In 'my' curriculum it's more like Geometry + Geography where the latter has
all the National Geographic type stuff i.e. anthropology.

The standards committees are mostly busy work for people who need some kind
of income based on what little they learned in school (not a whole lot in
most cases). We must indulge our fellow Americans in their busy work
because that's a way to stay self respecting, to don business dress and
pilot an automobile to a place called an office.

In terms of reading or caring about their reports... like I said, many jobs
in Washington (the district) depend on remaining fluent in the bureaucratic
lit of the day. It's a large city with a high cost of living and license
to dangle money over our heads, make us jump like fish (right into their
nets).

I'm not going to begrudge all these people "churning a living", but neither
am I going to advise young children to put Uncle Sam high on their list,
when it comes to telling them what tests to take, what media to consume, or
what to do with their lives in general. Uncle Sam is not a good role
model.

On the other hand, we learn from his mistakes as a kind of bumbling buffoon
(American Dad, Family Guy...). We learn how we ourselves, the people,
might govern more wisely and democratically, as our heritage speaks to us
and reminds us of our higher purposes.

We don't need those standards committees to tell us our central business or
responsibilities. They should mind their own business. DC needs to learn
how to be a better neighbor. Sometimes looking at all those Roman looking
buildings every day goes to their heads and they think they're the hub of a
great empire, the big boss town or something equally stupid. Pshaw to all
that.

Kirby